5 Random Words in 100 Words

Go down

5 Random Words in 100 Words

Post by Colonel Marksman on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm not exactly sure what you call this type of challenge. I saw it on another forum and thought it was pretty creative. It's designed to flex your writing muscles when under strain.

Participants post 5 random words. These 5 words must be included in any story/chapter/scene that is exactly 100 words (please adhere to the forum rules regarding content). The random words can be pluralized, and verbs can be placed in different tenses, but you cannot change the part of speech! If the word has multiple meanings in the dictionary, the writer can utilize any of those meanings.




Now, here the 5 words I will give to you:

Swift
Redneck
Evolution
Bucket
Shampoo


EDIT: I just discovered the writing challenge list of threads. Maybe this belongs there instead?

Colonel Marksman
Member

Posts : 40
Joined : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Random Words in 100 Words

Post by Garmar on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:05 pm

"Hand me that bucket, boy!" Shampoo was dripping down the man’s face and into his eyes.

"I'm a hurryin', Pa!

Little Tom broke into a run - sending a swift into flight as he passed it.

“This is another quirk we have observed in the evolution of the race of humans known as ‘rednecks’. They are prone to dropping the consonant “g” during speech. Watch…watch! Next, the adult will most likely kick the child and start to curse. Very amusing.”

“Shouldn’t we stop the adult?”

The Observer shook his head, smiling. “No, this species certainly couldn’t handle a first contact.”


Reason
Block
Winning
Boiler
Jeopardy

_________________

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.


A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say.  ~Italo Calvino
avatar
Garmar
Admin

Male
Posts : 836
Age : 44
Location : Missouri
Joined : 2009-02-08

http://review-group.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Random Words in 100 Words

Post by MC on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:28 am

The innocent princess seemed to consider this information about the barbaric pair, as she observed them on the ship's view screen.

"I understand your reason, dear doctor," she said, "but perhaps there is still some way to block the blows?"

The doctor considered this dubious suggestion.
"A winning idea, young observer. But much is at jeopardy, you see. Please focus on the lesson: Learn their culture and language."

"But, why not zap the brute with a short beam from the boiler ray? Perhaps the heat will cause him to seek shade and rest; thereby deterring him from his little victim?"

Infantile
subdued
retrospect
plethora
wormy


Last edited by MC on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
MC
Senior Member
Senior Member

Female
Posts : 405
Age : 40
Location : Los Angeles, California
Joined : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Random Words in 100 Words

Post by Colonel Marksman on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:49 am

MC wrote:The innocent princess seemed to consider this information about the barbaric pair, as she observed them on the ship's view screen.

"I understand your reason, dear doctor," she said, "but perhaps there is still some way to block the blows?"

The doctor considered this dubious suggestion.
"A winning idea, young observer. But much is at jeopardy, you see. Please focus on the lesson: Learn their culture and language"

"But, why not zap the brute with a short beam from the boiler ray? Perhaps the heat will cause him to seek shade and rest; thereby deterring him from his little victim?"

Infantile
subdued
retrospect
plethora
wormy

Yehhh... kinda violent there, MC. ... WIN! cheers

Colonel Marksman
Member

Posts : 40
Joined : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Random Words in 100 Words

Post by ebyss on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:48 am

Ebyss stood with her mouth downturn in an infantile pout. She dug into the ground with the toe of her shoe. I wish I had that. She sighed and looked at the thing she most desired. The shiny red car reflected in the pupils of her eyes. She sighed, subdued at the unfairness of life.

In retrospect, at one time, she could have had anything she wanted. She had a plethora of dollar bills before the strange man came and emptied her wallet.

Now, she had nothing, but the memory of the wormy corpse of the man that did her wrong.

formative
nobility
rebozo
commodore
souffle'

ebyss
Senior Member
Senior Member

Posts : 653
Joined : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Random Words in 100 Words

Post by Colonel Marksman on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:14 am

ebyss wrote:Ebyss stood with her mouth downturn in an infantile pout. She dug into the ground with the toe of her shoe. I wish I had that. She sighed and looked at the thing she most desired. The shiny red car reflected in the pupils of her eyes. She sighed, subdued at the unfairness of life.

In retrospect, at one time, she could have had anything she wanted. She had a plethora of dollar bills before the strange man came and emptied her wallet.

Now, she had nothing, but the memory of the wormy corpse of the man that did her wrong.

formative
nobility
rebozo
commodore
souffle'

Good night, you guys are good.

Colonel Marksman
Member

Posts : 40
Joined : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Random Words in 100 Words

Post by MC on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:24 pm

Are we supposed to be continuing the same story each time? I'm confused.
avatar
MC
Senior Member
Senior Member

Female
Posts : 405
Age : 40
Location : Los Angeles, California
Joined : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Random Words in 100 Words

Post by Colonel Marksman on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:01 pm

MC wrote:Are we supposed to be continuing the same story each time? I'm confused.
Not necessarily. I just ended up continuing my own. If you do, it might get harder each time someone introduces new words, but it might get easier, too.

Colonel Marksman
Member

Posts : 40
Joined : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Random Words in 100 Words

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum