Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New kid on the block

+5
Jack
NaClmine
Garmar
Colonel Marksman
Jaxom
9 posters

Go down

New kid on the block Empty New kid on the block

Post by Jaxom Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:16 am

Aloha everyone. I have been bitten by the writers bug recently. Writing was never really my thing. Stories were always to long and hard to bring together. Of course I could write little twitters, and everyone (family) liked them. I have been told by family that I should try to write a book. So, I have started many little projects and quit. Now I’m seriously trying to figure it out. Would like to learn the craft a lot better than I know it now. It’s been about eight years since I took a writing class.

I am in the good old state of Missouri, originally from Oregon. I’m a kid at heart, and intrigued by all the little things. Hopefully I can have fun and learn all I can from everyone here.

Jaxom

Back to top Go down

New kid on the block Empty Re: New kid on the block

Post by Colonel Marksman Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:55 am

So that's what this writing a book business is about. Welcome, Jaxom. I'm the one who invited you.

The first and foremost thing I will tell you is that you can't always trust your family and friends when it comes to writing. Most of the time, they will avoid trying to hurt your feelings.

My family is quite honest, as my mom was an English expert (who tried writing her own story once), and my sister is a hard critic of anything I come up with. The only thing they all read was when my sister got concerned about a story she was browsing through. It was a graphic story about an abusive father and she thought it was important to print it out and hand it to everyone. So my father believes I do nothing on the computer but find ways to make my writing more graphic. good grief

My few friends have been with me for years and will do everything they can to help. Now my cousin, on the other hand, to whom I read stories aloud over the phone, is not any of these. He's afraid I'll rebuke anything he says, and he feels most everything is a matter of opinion. But he's also easy to please.

The Internet is in my opinion, the best place to find review and help. These people aren't seeing you face-to-face, so saying what they really feel is easier.

This website is no less.

Writing well isn't something everyone can do. It's not as simple as coming up with a few ideas and scrambling them together and getting it published by a person who personally liked it. This is an art that can take the sweat and blood out of you. There are a lot of do's and don't's, as well as specific set of rules and guidelines to follow. Things that make picture art good (like shading), regardless of the art, is important. The same can be said of writing.

It requires dedication, long hours, even years of research, writing, rewriting, research, checking the dictionary and thesaurus, talking to experts of different fields, researching, finding hobbies and experiences, research, a great deal of passion, and passion for research.

Colonel Marksman

Back to top Go down

Post by Garmar Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:54 am

Welcome to CWRG, Jaxom!

A fellow Missourian, eh? I live close to Springfield. Colonel is spot-on. I'm fortunate to have two people in my life that tell me exactly what I want to hear when they read anything new I've written. They usually tear it to shreds. Razz My wife and my mom are pretty good at finding plot holes and anything that just doesn't seem quite right. I don't always agree, but I always listen.

Thank you for joining our community. We are a group of writers with a common goal--to
become better at our craft. In order to maintain a creative, positive atmosphere we have some easily followed, common sense guidelines for membership. You can review them in our New Member Orientation.

You'll find that everyone here is friendly and helpful, so jump in and start posting!

If you have any questions or issues that aren't covered in the New Member Orientation, please feel free to contact me.

Have fun!

Gary.
Garmar
Garmar
Admin

Male

https://review-group.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaClmine Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:50 pm

Jaxom wrote:Aloha (comma) everyone. I have been bitten by the writers (this should be possessive -- depending on if you are referring to a single "writer's bug" or a bug possessed by many writers; i.e the "writers' bug") describing the bug recently. Writing was never really my thing. Stories were always to long and hard to bring together.

Whoops . . . sorry bout starting the "review" process so quickly. Bad habit, I guess! LOL

Seriously, welcome to the zoo.
NaClmine
NaClmine

Male

http://www.lasthumanwar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:43 pm

LOL NaCl!

Hey Jaxom! Welcome to the Review-Group!
Nice to meet you and glad to have you with us.
- Jack
Jack
Jack

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:20 pm

Ok, it appears that I am remiss on the intro section. Hola!! biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by MC Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:55 am

Hi Jaxom! Glad you joined us. This is a good place to come to gain inspiration, opinions and (as you may have noticed) grammatical help, lol. We're all learning, so none of us thinks anything of it.

I think it's a good sign that your family would encourage you to do more writing! I doubt they would do that if your stories were bad. They'd just nod and say "uh huh, that's nice." Or at least mine would.
MC
MC

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonel Marksman Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:58 am

NaClmine wrote:
Jaxom wrote:Aloha (comma) everyone. I have been bitten by the writers (this should be possessive -- depending on if you are referring to a single "writer's bug" or a bug possessed by many writers; i.e the "writers' bug") describing the bug recently. Writing was never really my thing. Stories were always to long and hard to bring together.

Whoops . . . sorry bout starting the "review" process so quickly. Bad habit, I guess! LOL

Seriously, welcome to the zoo.

He's very new to this writing business, but willing.

Colonel Marksman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagit Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi Jaxom, hope your stay is as pleasant as mine has been.

I get the feeling there is some good people lingering in here...don't you?

Glad to meet you,

~Bagit
Bagit
Bagit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahP Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:55 pm

Welcome, Jaxom! This is a great place to indulge a thirst for writing knowledge! I recently became interested in writing, myself!

Look forward to seeing your contributions!
SarahP
SarahP

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Goodman Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:41 pm

I'm wayyyy behind on the intro train. Welcome Jaxom!

Better two months late than never :)
Lady Goodman
Lady Goodman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down