Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Very First Book

3 posters

Go down

The Very First Book Empty The Very First Book

Post by Guest Tue May 19, 2009 10:34 am

I still have the very first science fiction book I ever read. Not just a copy of it, but the very same copy that was bought for me in either first or second grade. Here it is:

The Very First Book PICT0117

The book actually consists of two stories. If you flip the book over, the other story reads in the other direction, so that when you come to the last page of either side you are confronted with the last page of the other story upside down.

I don't know if they still do this in grade school, but back in the seventies they sold these little "scholastic books" through the school via a little mail order deal-ee-oh. I remember each year I would wait with such anticipation for the little pamphlet to come out to see which new books I could buy. They rarely cost more than a buck in those days. Anyway, this little science fiction ditty was my very first ever science fiction book, my baptism, so to speak.

What was your first book?

Back to top Go down

The Very First Book Empty Re: The Very First Book

Post by willow Tue May 19, 2009 11:24 am

My very first sci-fi book was Madeline Lengal's A Wind in the Door. I still have it too. lol Not the exact same copy, I've had to replace it many times. I still love it and I still read it once a year.

In the beginning...there was JR Tolkein, Terry Brooks, and Piers Anthony. That transfered to Ann McCaffrey and Robert Heinlien. Who in turn, turned me onto Stephen King and Dean Koontz. They sent me over to check out John Saul, who introduced me to Ann Rice. By then I was completely smitten and could not bare to read anything other than my beloved sci-fi/horror/fantasy novels.

At present, I dare you to find a book in my library or movie on my shelf, that is not representative of those genres. Now there are movies that the kids watch, and even some comedies for my husband. But those aren't mine. My heart belongs to the unknown. lol
willow
willow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by NaClmine Tue May 19, 2009 11:34 am

Yep, me too. Galactic Derelict by Andre Norton.

I struggled in school, especially with reading. Fell asleep every time I tried to read anything...academic, pleasure, even comic books. Part of the problem was being an unusually slow reader; it made all reading drudgery.

I was about 12-13 when I saw an intriguing book cover on a small paperback that was selling for 25 cents at a church bazaar. It was a tough decision; five candy bars or one book. (Yes, candy bars were a nickel each in 1960.) I bought the book. Started reading it around noon on Saturday and finished it before dinner on Sunday. That's when I fell in love with sci-fi and learned that reading in general could be fun.
NaClmine
NaClmine

Male

http://www.lasthumanwar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Garmar Tue May 19, 2009 12:41 pm

I don't recall exactly what my first sci-fi book was, but I believe it was either Dune or 2001: A Space Odyssey.

And I remember those little scholastic books--used to beg my mom every time that pamphlet came out. I remember the first one of those that was bought for me. It was The Poky Little Puppy.

Long lost though.
The Very First Book Pokylittlepuppy

Dean, I looked for that book last weekend at the library. I think I'm gonna have to buy it if I can't find it soon.
Garmar
Garmar
Admin

Male

https://review-group.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:06 am

ERBs Chessmen of Mars. I stayed with both Chess and fencing well into my 20's!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down