Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Homophone Game

2 posters

Go down

The Homophone Game Empty The Homophone Game

Post by Jack Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Garm suggested this clever idea to me; which kind of resembles -->"Three parts of speech game"

A homophone is a word that is pronounced the same as another word but differs in meaning. The words may be spelled the same, such as rose (flower) and rose (past tense of "rise"), or differently, such as carat, caret, and carrot, or to, two and too. A homophone is a type of homonym, although sometimes homonym is used to refer only to homophones that have the same spelling but different meanings. The term may also be used to apply to units shorter than words, such as letters or groups of letters that are pronounced the same as another letter or group of letters.

Example: of homophones are stalk (which as a noun can mean part of a plant, and as a verb to follow/harass a person), bear (animal) and bear (carry), left (opposite of right) and left (past tense of leave). Plane (Object. My friend flew in a plane); Plain (Adverb. Clearly and simply: He's just plain stupid.)

Your Goal: Is to formulate a nice and beautiful sentence; containing at least 2 homophones... >>the more the better!<<

Here is an example: (bare --> naked)_(bear --> animal)_(bear --> to tolerate)

"Our bear cannot bear to be bare at any hour."

Here is my sentence:

Jack hoped into his car and rode on his smooth road, but then he saw a hand full of people who quietly rowed across the lake.

Last edited by Jack on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:49 am; edited 3 times in total
Jack
Jack

Male

Back to top Go down

The Homophone Game Empty Re: The Homophone Game

Post by MC Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm

"I'll be right back" Saad said as he threw on a coat and left the house. "What might he write about his vacation to Ruby Isle," he wondered as he took a right and trudged through the aisle of falling leaves.

I'm sorry, that's two sentences! I have to pay more attention to the rules No .

Last edited by MC on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
MC
MC

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:48 am

My mistake -- it's suppose to be homophone instead of homonym. Embarassed

You've got the idea MC.
Jack
Jack

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:19 pm

A mite might queue with a ewe or with you, but would never collect dew to pay her dues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down