Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not writer's block... just writer's disinterest.

+2
NaClmine
Lady Goodman
6 posters

Go down

Not writer's block... just writer's disinterest. Empty Not writer's block... just writer's disinterest.

Post by Lady Goodman Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:00 pm

So, I was an entire outline and 5 chapters into a book I spent a month being really excited about. Lately, I can't get a word down. I'm annoyed with my character, I'm bored with the plot. Now, I've started something new and I'm only a few pages into it, but I can't get it out of my head. I have broad scenes worked out in my head like a movie trailer.

However, I got some of my friends and family big my first book, and to tell them that I've changed is kind of a scary thing for me. I've done three years of college, and I changed majors at the beginning of this semester and had my family behind me as I made the big leap. So, changing less than three months later, dropping out of school and pursuing an "unstable career" is a little... intimidating.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has been in a simliar situation with laying down a manuscript and jumping to another. Also, any stories of inspiration might help haha. This is just frustrating.
Lady Goodman
Lady Goodman

Female

Back to top Go down

Not writer's block... just writer's disinterest. Empty Re: Not writer's block... just writer's disinterest.

Post by NaClmine Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 pm

It's not a problem unless it becomes . . . well, a problem! LOL

I've started numerous stories that are "taking a nap" while I follow my enthusiasm. In each case, my enthusiasm has not vanished, I simply got more excited about other works and I will return to the resting manuscripts in time. Now, if this became a pattern, and I was never completing anything, then it would need correction.

As far as quitting school after investing three years, that, in my opinion, is a bad idea. A college degree will make it possible for you in invest more time in your writing. A good "day job" is a Godsend, providing peace of mind and free time to write. Punching a clock for low wages or flippin burgers will make writing more difficult if you're tired or worried about paying the bills. Get your piece of paper and then pursue a writing career. In fact, publishers look for college grads to become copy editors, marketing managers, account managers, etc. So, that degree is a ticket to get into the publishing industry . . . course, you need to like New York City. LOL

Last edited by NaClmine on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
NaClmine
NaClmine

Male

http://www.lasthumanwar.com

Back to top Go down

Not writer's block... just writer's disinterest. Empty Re: Not writer's block... just writer's disinterest.

Post by Lady Goodman Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:45 pm

It's a good point. I was pursuing an English degree, and I have my AA but my heart just isn't in school anymore. I have a good job now, and my husband and I plan on my job being a mom after we get settled anyway. Money is very low on my list when it comes to life goals haha.

It's just that every idea I've ever had for my future has included doing that until I get published. I've decided to do this while I have the chance and see what happens. I can always go back to school and finish up my last 2.5 years later. At least, that's my 20 years and 363 days of life talking - so here's to hoping I don't regret this decision later, eh?

P.S. New York? Yuck ^_^
Lady Goodman
Lady Goodman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by willow Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:40 am

Hi Lady,

I can understand where you are coming from. Although I'd never recommend dropping out of school, I can see why you're in a hurry to invest time in your ultimate goal.

I wanted to be a writer when I was 13. But I was a pretty good singer and thought I'd better pursue a singing career instead. lol Which I did. Even after I married, I continued to sing in local bands. By the time I was 24, I had two children and had decided that I would probably not make it into the 'rock star' life. lol I can be thick-headed sometimes.

But I still wanted to be a writer! I took several jobs over the years tending bar and waitressing. Never lamenting my inabilitiy to become a rock star. I have wasted years upon years doing what needed to be done to keep things financially fluid.

Five years ago, my husband got a big deal job and we moved here. For the first time in my life, I found myself in a position where I could actually do something I wanted instead of doing what had to be done. First thing I did was go to college. Holy crap! I had forgotten how much I hated school the first time. lol

I finally got busy with the writing that I had spent the last 25 years wanting to do. I could only be happier... if I were published.

You might regret dropping out 20 years from now. But you might regret it if you don't. I've wasted a lot of time not working toward my ultimate goal. If you are in a position to follow your dream, grab it and go! Don't look back, press forward.

Willow
willow
willow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Goodman Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:37 pm

Willow I'm so happy you're doing what you've always wanted! Judging for your snipet of the werewolf story, I shouldn't think you'd have a problem at all reaching your publishing goal.

Mentioning the story, have you written anymore? I absolutely love fantasy stories, I'd love to see more!
Lady Goodman
Lady Goodman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MC Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:14 pm

Lady G, do you have a place you go to write? If not, look for a place you can go to for inspiration and solitude. Or you can try to make a room that you already have more inspiring somehow. My husband goes to the coffee shop every Saturday morning to write. It works for him. He doesn't have a lot of free time, so this has to be it for now. If he stays home, there are three small very demanding interruptions to deal with (kids).
MC
MC

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by willow Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:17 pm

Yes I have scads more. lol I wasn't sure if I should post it because I want to publish that one. It's about 21k right now. I'm shooting for 80 ish. You don't happen to like vampire stories do you? I'm needing readers for the ms I'm re-editing! If you're interested in reading it and giving me feedback let me know.

I forgot in my other post to address your question about having trouble sticking with a story line.

I have 4 ms' that I'm working on right now. One is finished and is being edited. The other 3 are still in the writing stage. When one starts to get me down, I move on to the other and work until I need to do something else. It may not be terribly productive but it helps keep my interest!!!
willow
willow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Goodman Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:57 pm

Makes sense. I would love to post my ms' chapter by chapter for feedback, but I'm afraid of the reprocusions of such actions.

Do I like vampire stories? Scoff. Honey, I eat, breathe and sleep vampires. I'd love to read and give feedback!

I'm working on two entirely different ones right now. One is a vampire-ish novel while the other is a mobster/kidnapping/mind-reader story :).
Lady Goodman
Lady Goodman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by willow Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Ewww cool!! Both sound terribly interesting. We can do a swap chapter by chapter if you like. I'm doing that with another writer friend of mine right now and it's fun. It gives me something to look forward to each day and gives me a break from my own work. Send me a pm! smiling

I have the vampire ms, the werewolf one that you read, book 2 in the vampire series, and a serial killer with supernatural powers. lol (I'm way into weird stuff) You can take your pick!
willow
willow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Garmar Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:07 am

Garmar
Garmar
Admin

Male

https://review-group.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahP Wed May 13, 2009 12:00 pm

Lady Goodman wrote:It's a good point. I was pursuing an English degree, and I have my AA but my heart just isn't in school anymore. I have a good job now, and my husband and I plan on my job being a mom after we get settled anyway. Money is very low on my list when it comes to life goals haha.

From a mom with just two years left for my degree, I highly recommend just pushing through and finishing up... And who knows how much inspiration you'll derive from those last two years of schooling? I was an English major (before switching to Child Development) and I found that many of my classes helped my writing a lot... Let's face it. I write better when my mind is engaged with school.

Even though you plan on being a stay at home mom (which I am), you never know what might happen. It's good to have that degree on hand, just in case. I'm going back and finishing as soon as my daughter is in preschool.

*Ahem* Okay, I'm done lecturing on that.

Lady Goodman wrote:It's just that every idea I've ever had for my future has included doing that until I get published. I've decided to do this while I have the chance and see what happens. I can always go back to school and finish up my last 2.5 years later. At least, that's my 20 years and 363 days of life talking - so here's to hoping I don't regret this decision later, eh?

Before deciding that getting published is your one true path, I'd sit down and really try to focus on finishing a piece. You won't get published if you never finish a book. Maybe it's a good idea to give your previous obsession a breather, a "nap" as Saulty called it (I like that, Naclmine. I'm going to have to use it.), and work on your new inspiration. If the old story is meant to be, it'll come together later.

Good luck!
SarahP
SarahP

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down